Sunday, October 24, 1999
Military Quiz 1
Constructed by Brian Yeoh and Chuang Shyue Chou
1. How many Roman Legions were destroyed at Teutoburger Wald in 9 A.D?
2. Name the earliest known instance of the 'oblique' means of attacking the enemy and who was responsible for it. (This is not in reference to turning the flanks simply, but a more complex manoeuvre involving the denial of the weak flank while concentrating on the other.)
3. Which was the defence contractor responsible for the losing design of A-9 in the CAS aircraft flyoff in which the Fairchild Republic A-10 eventually won?
4. Name two direct predecessors (aircraft) of the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt.
5. Name the battle Rameses
II fought. Name the enemy.
6. Name the designer of the M-16.
7. Name the designer of the Ultimax 100 LMG.
8. Who spoke of friction in war?
9. She turned up at the Soviet-sponsored World Youth Festival, and posed on a NVA anti-aircraft artillery. Who was that prominent actress of the New Left?
10. The Sea Fury is a derivative of a land-based fighter. Name it. Name the manufacturer.
11. The Sea Hornet is a derivative of a land-based fighter-bomber. Name it. Name the manufacturer.
12. There were three prominent commanders of the Spanish War of Succession. Name two.
13. Kurt Tank, the famed designer of the Focke Wulf FW-190, TA-152, TA-154 and more, was responsible for two post-war jets. Which countries did he develop them for?
14. Name a battle the Duke of Marlborough, John Churchill, won.
15. Who won the Battle of Crecy and the Battle of Poitiers? What was the main instrument of victory?
16. What was the Davy Crockett weapon built in the 1950s?
17. What role was the Vought Vindicator designed for?
18. Which other tank was armed with a similar weapon to the M-152 Sheridan?
19. Give the range years
of which the three Indo-Pakistai War was fought.
20. Which three British battlecruisers were sunk at the Battle of Jutland in 1916?